As the largest city in Texas, a visit to Houston can be a bit daunting. But to get the most out of your visit, staying somewhere central is key. We’ve got five reasons why Hotel ZaZa should definitely be on your short list.
1. It’s Houston’s hottest boutique hotel. You get the feeling that something is different from the moment you arrive and are greeted by bellman clad in gray sweater vests, looking like they’ve just stepped out of a J.Crew ad. Nothing is traditional or boring at Hotel ZaZa, Houston’s ultimate society hotspot. Whimsical and luxe, sexy and glam, this hotel, with its lush velvet and brocade furnishings set against crystal chandeliers, is the place to stay when you want to experience something outside of the ordinary.
2. The location couldn’t be better. Hotel ZaZa sits right in the heart of Houston’s Museum District, in one of the most beautiful areas of the city. Wide, oak-lined streets and the landmark Mecom Fountain in Hermann Park greet you as you approach the hotel. Within a four-block radius, you’ll find The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Contemporary Arts Museum Houston; Holocaust Museum Houston; and the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Rice University is also within walking distance, with convenient public METRORail access across the street to take you north into Downtown, or south into the Texas Medical Center or Reliant Stadium (home of the Houston Texans).
3. There’s a resident local celebrity chef. As you check in at the swanky lobby area, a larger-than-life-sized poster of local celebrity chef Jonathan Jones will greet you, beckoning you to Monarch for a taste of his Gulf Coast-inspired dishes. Drawing from the bounty of local products, Jones’ menu changes seasonally, offering everything from Southern-style shrimp and grits, to an unforgettable seared scallop with peas and carrots, to fresh catch market fish dishes, or your classic steak of Hereford beef.
4. The spa is divine. Stepping into ZaSpa, located on the pool level with easy access to the state-of-the-art gym and French Riviera-style pool area, you’re immediately wrapped in a state of luxury. Lush, brocade curtains and dim lighting create the mood before you’re swept away for a signature facial (think the 80-minute Bella Vita) or therapeutic massage treatment (try The Art of Being Picky, which is customized for the individual). And it doesn’t end there: Before your treatment is over, you’ll be led to a lounge area with an oxygen station, where you’ll be invited to relax on a plush lounge as the relaxing flow of oxygen is infused into your body. Sauna, steam shower, locker facilities, full amenities and a small retail area where you can pick up your favorite products (by top brands such as Comfort Zone and Innovative Skincare) all make up the ZaSpa experience.
5. The fantasy suites are out of this world. Bob Hope once told Phil Donahue that the view from the top of the Warwick Hotel in Houston was the best in the world. That was then. When the Warwick turned into Hotel ZaZa, the top floor was transformed into a series of suites called the “Magnificent Seven.” Each of the themed suites — Rock Star Suite, Black Label, Tycoon, For Your Eyes Only, Fatal Charms, Bella Vita, and It Happened One Night — is outfitted to fulfill your wildest fantasies. And that view that Bob Hope talked about? You can get it from the 2,204-square-foot Black Label suite while sitting on the balcony in your outdoor bathtub.
Photos Courtesy of Hotel ZaZa