Opening this spring on Manhattan’s West Side, The Quin Hotel will draw on its prime location, rich artistic history and chic design style to attract guests. Here are five things you should know about one of the hottest new hotels to hit New York in 2013:
1. Location. The Quin is located at 57th Street and Sixth Avenue and occupies the building that once housed the old Buckingham Hotel. Many of New York’s major attractions are within walking distance of the hotel — Central Park, Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center, Times Square — and the subway is fewer than two blocks away to shoot you downtown.
2. Play a melody for me. The Buckingham Hotel, which opened in 1929, had a rich musical heritage. Thanks to its proximity to Carnegie Hall, it served as a haven for many noteworthy artists over the years. Pianist, composer and first prime minister of Poland Ignacy Jan Paderewski lived in the hotel until his death in 1941. (The Quin will have a suite named after him.) Others who frequented The Buckingham include Academy Award-winning composer Dimitri Tiomkin and Met stars Giuseppe De Luca, Paul Schöffler and soprano Renata Tebaldi. Broadway’s Bobby Van and saxophonist Gato Barbieri were also guests, as was opera star Regina Resnik, who loaned the hotel her husband’s oil portraits of cellist Mstislav Rostropovich and pianist Arthur Rubenstein.
3. Art and design. Surrounded by galleries, The Quin will contribute its own collection of art to the neighborhood — works by acclaimed Irish painter Patrick Graham. The hotel’s public spaces also offer plenty of stylish touches that promise to attract a fashionable crowd — leather-covered columns, ceilings with 22-karat gold leaf and hammered metal plates, hand-blown glass chandeliers, and an elevator lobby with mirrored arches and honeycombed cast plaster. A gallery room will feature bookmatched slabs, while a drawing room will feature cerused oak paneling.
4. Sleep. The Quin’s 200 guest rooms and 25 suites will serve as a lovely modern refuge, with clean lines and warm colors. White leather headboards and lacquer furniture will add glamour to the guest rooms, while marble bathrooms will offer glass showers and high-tech Toto toilets. Signature DUX beds from Duxiana topped with Sferra linens will ensure a good night’s sleep in the city. And connecting rooms can create multi-bedroom suites for traveling families.
5. Niceties. The Quin will be the first hotel in New York to introduce Fresh brand spa products into every guest room. Each room will also be furnished with a Bowers & Wilkins sound system and electronic pads that’ll allow you to control the lights, thermostat and window drapes, as well as place privacy and service room requests with the touch of a button.
Photos Courtesy of The Quin