As the flagship property of one of the world’s top luxury hotel chains, the venerable Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Peninsula Hong Kong has been on the top of its game for 84 years — but it just got a whole lot better. As it wraps up a $60 million renovation that showcases state-of-the-art room technology, we sussed out some of the very best new features:
1. Unlimited free phone calls. It doesn’t matter if calls are local or international; thanks to in-room VoIP calling, they are always free, just like the high-speed Wi-Fi. And fiber optic lines to every room ensure clarity.
2. All you can eat. Eternally popular The Verandah was the first buffet in Hong Kong, and a complete redo has modernized and expanded it. With a full slate of Western and Eastern selections, the eatery has more offerings than ever, including fine Italian cured meats, dim sum and even a cook-to-order congee bar. Dishes change for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but all are top of the line by buffet standards.
3. Home theater away from home. Every room now boasts a 3D flat-screen television and Blu-ray player, loaner glasses and movies, which can be ordered through the in-room Samsung tablets. A sophisticated sound bar speaker system provides high-fidelity surround sound.
4. A new Old World Bar. Simply called The Bar, this brand-new second-floor watering hole is a nod to the hotel’s classic style with dark wood and richly upholstered chairs, a deep collection of fine whiskies and a focus on craft cocktails and artisanal ice cubes. It even has a special drink menu dedicated to James Bond, as scenes from The Man with the Golden Gun were filmed at the Hong Kong hotel.
5. Charge it. Every power outlet is now a “world” outlet, taking all major styles of plugs from the U.S., U.K. and Asia. And there are outlets everywhere, including four easily accessed in a charging station that pops out of the top of the desk. The handy dock also has Apple and USB jacks.
Photos Courtesy of The Peninsula Hong Kong